Garlock historical marker California Kern sign display Historical Site marker attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination Cow Wells Eugene Garlock historic marker historic site Kern County Rand Mountain Randsburg signage Yellow Aster Mine attractive destination educating info tourist attraction West history no people signs text appealing tourism travel United States historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers United States of America color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites colour image destinations outside tourist attractions Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org CA day time day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A.
In 1896 Eugene Garlock constructed a stamp mill near this spot for the crushing of gold ore from the Yellow Aster Mine on Rand Mountain. Known originally as Cow Wells, by prospectors and freighters during the 1880Õs and early 1890Õs, the town of Garlock continued to thrive until water piped from here to Randsburg in 1898 and the Kramer-Randsburg rail line was completed in the same year.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 671
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission, in cooperation with the Kern County Historical Society, El Tejon Parlor No. 239, Native Daughters of the Golden West and the Kern County Museum, May 22, 1960.