The Griffith Ranch historical marker display Historical Site marker ranch sign attraction California education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination David Wark Griffith farm historic marker historic site Los Angeles County signage attractive destination educating info tourist attraction West agriculture history no people text appealing tourism travel United States farming historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers ranches signs United States of America color image historical landmarks outdoor ranching vertical appeal day educate farms historic markers historic sites colour image destinations Jason O. Watson outside tourist attractions CA day time day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A.
THE GRIFFITH RANCH
Originally part of the San Fernando mission lands, this ranch was purchased by David Wark Griffith, revered pioneer of silent motion pictures in 1912, it provided the locale for many western thrillers, including "Custer's Last Stand", and was the inspiration for the immortal production, "Birth of a Nation." It was acquired by Fritz B. Burns in 1948, who has perpetuated the Griffith name in memory of the great film pioneer.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 716
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Mr. Fritz B. Burns; the History and Landmarks Association of the San Fernando and Antelope Valley Parlors, Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West; and the San Fernando Mission Parlor No. 280, Native Daughters of the Golden West, December 13, 1959.