Joseph Morton historical marker Virginia display Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination American Revolution Charlotte County Hillandale historic marker historic site Revolutionary War Roanoke Bridge signage attractive destination educating info tourist attraction VA history no people text appealing South tourism travel historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites US colour image destinations outside tourist attractions day time USA day-time Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America
Seven miles west stood Roanoke Bridge, the colonial homestead of Joseph Morton, who patented land nearby in the 1740s. He was an elder of Briery Presbyterian Church on its founding in Prince Edward County in 1755, and later a trustee. He served as a justice from the formation of Charlotte County on 4 March 1765 until his death in 1784. In 1775, at the beginning of the American Revolution, he became a member of the county's committee of correspondence. About that time, he built Roanoke Bridge, a frame dwelling later called Hillandale. The house served as a post office from 1885 to 1904, and burned in the mid-20th century.
Department of Historic Resources, 1999