historic marker Ellis Preaching House Virginia attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Sussex County sign with text
ELLIS PREACHING HOUSE
Nearby to the northeast stood Ellis Preaching House, an early Methodist meetingplace in Sussex County. Francis Asbury, a pioneering Methodist leader and circuit rider, first visited the Ellis family in 1775 and later conducted services at the preaching house on numerous occassions. The Ellis Preaching House, built by 1782, received its name because it was constructed on property owned by William Ellis. Annual conference meetings were held there in April 1782, May 1783, and April 1784. After the 1784 meeting, Methodists convened in Baltimore, Maryland, and formed the Methodist Episcopal Church. The preaching house was still standing in the 1820s.
Department of Historic Resources, 2000.