historic marker Smith's Fort Plantation VA US United States of America attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination United States Virginia America attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction American appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides Surry County sign with text
SMITH'S FORT PLANTATION
Captain John Smith began Smith's Fort in 1609, two years after the first permanent English colony in the New World was established at Jamestown. The remains of the fort, a two-foot-high earthwork, constitute the oldest extant structure of English origin in Virginia. The fort stands on a high bluff overlooking Gray's Creek and encloses a triangle of about two hundred feet on each side. Thomas Rolfe, the only child of John Rolfe and Pocahontas, probably owned this tract. The house is a mid-18th-century Tidewater plantation dwelling likely built for Jacob Faulcon, Surry County clerk from 1781 to 1801.
Department of Historic Resources, 1999