historic marker Trinity Church Staunton VA USA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
Known originally as Augusta Parish Church, it was founded in 1746 as the county parish. The Virginia General Assembly met here in June 1781 to avoid capture by British raiders. The present church was erected in 1855 and was used by the Virginia Theological Seminary during the war between the states. The first bishop of Virginia, James Madison, was a member of this church.
Virginia State Library