historic marker The Confederate Hospital VA US attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Shenandoah County sign with text
THE CONFEDERATE HOSPITAL
The Confederate hospital was built here under the direction of Dr. Andrew Russell Meem, by order of the Confederate Medical Department in Sept. 1861. The hospital consisted of three two-story buildings, each 150 feet long, accommodating 500 patients. At the end of the war, the 192nd Ohio Volunteer Militia tore down the hospital and used the lumber to construct a large military installtion that included a courhouse guardhouse, gallows, and ballroom on Rude's Hill, three miles south of Mount Jackson. Federal occupation forces used these structures throughout the Reconstruction period. The cemetery, which was established directly across the Valley Pike in 1861, was dedicated in 1866.
Department of Historic Resources, 1998