historic marker Fort Harrison Daniel Harrison attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America Rockingham County sign with text
Daniel Harrison settled about 1745 at the headwaters of Cook's Creek where it is believed he built the stone portion of the present house. During the decades 1750-1770, when this area was the frontier of the colony, the house served the settlers as a refuge from Indian attacks. Subsequent owners added the brick portion and enlarged the windows and doors. The Harrison family had large land holdings in present Augusta and Rockingham counties.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission, 1984