historic marker Roanoke Pate's Mill and Tavern attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
The first village here, at Pate's Mill and Tavern on Evans' Mill Creek, was called Big Lick for nearby salt marshes. In 1839 it was laid off as the town of Gainesborough. After the coming of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad (Later N. & W.) in 1852, another village sprang up about the Old Stover House that was also named Big Lick. Gainesborough became known as Old Lick. (<a href=http://photos.historical-markers.org/va-roanokecity/197_9768>Over</a>)
Virginia Conservation Commission, 1941.