historic marker Ellerslie Virginia John Jett attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Rappahannock County sign with text
One-half mile southeast of this location is Ellerslie, which was built in 1814 by French Huguenot Col. John Jett and his wife Hannah Calvert for their son James Jett, Jr., on a 1,000-acre tract. In 1749, George Washington named Jett Strett in the town of Washington, Virginia for the family. In 1862, some of Union Maj. Gen. John Pope's forces occupied Ellerslie before the Second Battle of Manassas. After the Civil War, Ellerslie fell into disrepair and the property was divided. In 1926, its century-old English boxwoods were moved to the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. to frace the Bishops Garden. Ellerslie was destroyed by fire in 1933.
Department of Historic Resources, 1997