historic marker Radford Virginia John B. Radford attraction destination display education information landmark marker sign tourist history attractive educating historic markers historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info Place of Interest Places of Interest Pulaski County Radford State Teachers College road side signage tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination travel Travel Destination historic VA appealing no people sightseeing text historical South attract nobody sightsee word daytime destinations displays landmarks markers signs tourists appeal color image educate outdoor vertical day historical markers road sides tourist attractions Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org tours US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America historic site sign with text
It originated as a railroad town in 1856 and was known as Central. In 1862-65 this section was in the range of Union raids; Confederates burned the bridge at Ingles Ferry to retard raiders. Incorporated in 1887 as a town, the place was incorporated as a city in 1892 and named Radford for Dr. John B. Radford, prominent citizen. Radford State Teachers College was established here, 1913.
Virginia Conservation Commission, 1941.