historic marker Colonial Roads Virginia marker attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org outsides United States United States of America Prince William County sign with text
The town of Haymarket, chartered in 1799, owes its location to the junction of the Old Carolina Road and the north branch of the Dumfries Road at the site of the Red House. The Carolina Road developed from the Iroquois hunting path which was abandoned by the Indians after 1722 when they were forced by treaty beyond the Blue Ridge. The Dumfries Road was in use as a major trade route between the Potomac and the Shenandoah Valley before 1740.
Prince William County Historical Commission, 1979