historic marker Longwood University Virginia attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Prince Edward County sign with text
Longwood University is a state-supported institution developed from the privately owned Farmville Female Seminary that was incorporated in 1839. In 1884, it became a public institution when the Commonwealth acquired the property and renamed it the State Female Normal School at Farmville. It was the first state institution of higher learning for women in Virginia. Former Virginia superintendent of public instruction, William H. Ruffner, was its first president, serving from 1884 to 1887. The school has undergone a number of name changes and became Longwood College in 1949 and Longwood University in 2002. The university became coeducational in 1976.
Department of Historic Resources, 2003