Peytonsburg Revolutionary War Virginia marker VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic marker historic site info Pittsylvania County signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic markers historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
Nearby to the east once stood the community of Peytonsburg, a part of Halifax County when the county was formed in 1752. Peytonsburg was incorporated as a town in 1759 by the Virginia General Assembly and became part of Pittsylvania County in 1766. During the Revolutionary War, by the late 1770s, Peytonsburg was serving as a supply depot for southern colonial troops. Horseshoes and wooden canteens were made there for colonial troops. During the 1780s, Peytonsburg was a terminus of a mail route that ran from the town to Richmond. The inhabitants gradually left the town during the 19th century, and the buildings gradually disappeared.
Department of Historic Resources, 2001.