historic marker Blackstone Virginia Schwartz VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Nottoway County sign with text
Blackstone was first known as Blacks and Whites, after two rival late 19th-century taverns. One of these taverns, Schwartz (Blacks) Tavern, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, still stands. The town was renamed for the English jurist Sir William Blackstone and incorporated in 1888. The Battle of the Grove, a Civil War cavalry action, was fought just west of here on 23 June 1864. The United Methodist Assembly Center, formerly the Blackstone College for Girls, is located here. At the turn of the 20th century, the town as a prosperous manufacturing, tobacco, and educational center in Southside Virginia. Nearby Fort Pickett was built in 1942.
Department of Historic Resources, 2000.