historic marker Towne Fields Francis Bolton attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Northampton County sign with text
This site, two and a half miles west, was the first seat of local government on the Eastern Shore. Francis Bolton preached there in 1623, and the first church was built before 1632. The oldest continuous country records in the English colonies began there in 1632. The first courthouse (built for that purpose) on the Eastern Shore was erected in 1664 and used until court moved to the Eastville area in 1677.
Virginia Conservation Commission, 1948.