historic marker Rockfish Church Virginia VA US attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Nelson County sign with text
The Rockfish meetinghouse was established here by 1746, making it one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in the region. James McCann conveyed land for a church and school. Samuel Black became the first pastor of the church in 1747. Thomas Mason built a new frame structure for the congregation about 1771. The present Greek Revival brick structure was constructed by 1854. Further modifications have been made to the building and grounds since that time, including an addition completed in 1995.
Department of Historic Resources, 2002