historic marker Hebron Lutheran Church marker attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Madison County sign with text
HEBRON LUTHERAN CHURCH
Nearby stands Hebron Lutheran Church. This cruciform church was built in 1740 ans is America's oldest church in continuous use by Lutherans. The congregation was formed by 1725 by German families, some of whom arrived to Virginia in 1717 to work at Germanna, Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood's frontier mining community. The church was enlarged about 1800 and a pipe organ crafted by David Tannenburg of Lititz, Pennsylvania, was installed. The interior of the church was elaborate frescoed ceilings painted by the Italian-born artist Joseph Oddenino. The was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Department of Historic Resources, 2000.