historic marker Fort Early Virginia marker VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org outsides United States United States of America Lynchburg sign with text
Named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early, this roughly square earthen redoubt served as a part of the outer line of defense for Lynchburg in June 1864. Fort Early and the outer fortifications were constructed to provide additional protection for the vital railroad facilities in Lynchburg threatened by Union Maj. Gen. David Hunter's troops after Early arrived on 17 June. On 18 June, Hunter advanced his troops towards Confederate positions, while Union artillery bombarded Fort Early and other Confederate fortifications. After a number of unsuccessful assults during the day. Hunter ordered a retreat that night. His troops withdrew to the southwest toward present-day Roanoke.
Department of Historic Resources, 2002.