historic marker Wrenn's Mill Thomas Green VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Isle of Wight County sign with text
Wrenn's Mill stood south of here on Pagan Creek. A mill powered by water for grinding grain existed there before 1685, when Thomas Green bequeathed it to his wife. The mill was referred to as Little Mill and Green's Mill, before Charles Wrenn obtained it in the 1820s. On 14 April 1864, members of the 23rd Massachusetts Volunteers drove Confederates from their position there, capturing a signal officer and two privates of the 7th Confederate Cavalry. The Union troops then fell back to Fort Boykin. The mill was dismantled by the early 1990s.
Department of Historic Resources, 2003.