historic marker Fort Trial Smith River VA US United States of America attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination United States Virginia America attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction American appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides Henry County sign with text
Fort Trial, constructed in 1756, once stood nearby overlooking the Smith River. It was one in a series of forts authorized by the General Assembly to be built on the frontier to protect settlers from Indians during the French and Indian War. The square fort was made of twenty-foot split timbers erected close together. Four feet of timber were buried in the earth and the walls were about sixteen feet high. George Washington visited Fort Trial in 1756. It was abandoned near the end of the eighteenth century when hostilities between colonists and Indians had subsided.
Department of Historic Resources, 2000.