historic marker Four Mile Creek Baptist Church attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America Henrico County sign with text
FOUR MILE CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH
The Baptist Church of Christ on Four Mile Creek was constituted at Clayton Springs on the 5th of August, 1781. In 1828, church members moved the meeting house four miles west to its present location. In the fall of 1864, Union troops occupied the area and razed the meeting house and surrounding oak grove. Following the Civil War, the congregation rebuilt the church with much community support. These Baptist worshipers had the current sanctuary constructed in 1962. Several area Baptist churches can trace their roots to Four Mile Creek including Gravel Hill, Hardy Central, Saint James and New Life.
County of Henrico, 1996.