historic marker Henrico Parish Church Virginia attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Henrico County sign with text
HENRICO PARISH CHURCH
Sir Thomas Dale established the original Henrico Parish Church at Henricus, 4 1/2 miles southeast of here, in 1611. The first minister, the Reverend Alexander Whitaker, has been credited with converting Pocahontas to Christianity. Other noteworthy ministers included James Blair and William Stith. The parish church was later relocated to Varina, then to Curles, and finally to Saint John's Church in Richmond in 1741. Here, in 1926, the Varina Episcopal Church was constructed and the newly formed Varina Parish was established in this community.
Department of Historic Resources, 1998.