historic marker Virginia Home for Boys VA USA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Henrico County sign with text
VIRGINIA HOME FOR BOYS
The Virginia Home for Boys is the oldest boys' home in continuous service in Virginia and the second oldest in the United States. Founded as the Richmond Male Orphan Society on 30 March 1846 for the "maintenance and instruction" of orphaned boys, it was incorporated by the General Assembly on 9 March 1847. At first located on Church Hill, it moved twice before relocating to this site in 1957. Its name was changed to the Richmond Home for Boys on 23 June 1969 and to the Virginia Home for Boys on 27 January 1971. Since its founding, the home has served more than 15,000 children ages six and above.
Department of Historic Resources, 1995