historic marker Battle of Yellow Tavern VA USA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Henrico County sign with text
BATTLE OF YELLOW TAVERN
On 11 May, 1864, Confederate cavalry commanded by Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart chose ground just east of here to engage Union cavalry under Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, who was advancing on Richmond by way of Mountain Road. Outnumbered three to one, Stuart's troops stubbornly resisted until vigorous attacks spearheaded by Brig. Gen. George Armstrong Custer's Michigan brigade broke their line. As the Confederate cavalry retired east toward Telegraph Road, Sheridan's men broke through and continued toward Richmond on Brook Road (present-day U.S. Route 1). The battle received its name from Yellow Tavern, an inn located on Brook Road just south of the battlefield.
Department of Historic Resources, 1994