historic marker James Madison University JMU attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Harrisonburg sign with text
JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY
The university was founded in 1908, through the efforts of state senator George B. Keezell, of Rockingham County, as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg. In 1924 it beacme the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg, before it was renamed Madison College in 1938 to honor James Madison, the Father of the Constitution and fourth president of the United States. The school admitted men to regular school sessions in 1946 and became fully coeducational in 1966. In 1977 the college was renamed James Madison University and has become a nationally recognized comprehensive public instituion.
Department of Historic Resources, 2003