historic marker Church Quarter Virginia church chapel Christianity attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination religion attractive churches destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing chapels history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America Hanover County sign with text
The two-room log house, a rare survivor of a once-common house type, was built about 1843 probably by Sarah Thornton, whose father-in-law John Thornton acquired the property in 1790. On 16 July 1862, Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson and his staff stopped here and requested some water. The woman who lived here provided a pitcher from which to drink. On learning Jackson's identity, she refused let anyone else drink from it, saying that she would give it to her children as momento of Jackson's visit. The Scotchtown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution purchased and restored the cabin in 1969.