George Washington History of Halifax Virginia attraction courthouse display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive Dabney Cosby destination Earl of Halifax educating George Custer George Montague Halifax County historic marker historic site info John Randolph law Nathanael Greene signage Thomas Jefferson tourist attraction VA appealing history justice no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word courthouses daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org historic markers historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
HISTORY OF HALIFAX
The town of Halifax has been the county seat of Halifax County since 1777. It is named for George Montague, the second Earl of Halifax, an English statesman. Previously this community had been called Banister, Houston, and Halifax Court House. Portions of Gen. Nathanael Greene's troops were here in Feb. 1781. George Washington was in the region on 4 June 1791. During the spring of 1827, John Randolph of Roanoke spoke here to a large gathering of people. The present courthouse is a Classical Revival structure built in 1839, constructed by Dabney Cosby, Sr., one of Thomas Jefferson's master builders. Union Gen. George Custer camped in the region in Apr. 1865.
Department of Historic Resources, 2000