Photo detail

Camera Maker Canon Camera Model Canon EOS 20D
Aperture f/14 Color Space sRGB
Exposure Value 0 EV Exposure Program Program
Exposure Time 1/320 sec Flash No Flash
Focal Length 28 mm ISO 400
Metering Mode Pattern Date/Time 2006:09:29 13:51:02
Copyright © 2006 Jason O. Watson. All rights reserved. Orientation 1: Normal (0 deg)
Resolution Unit Inch X Resolution 72 dots per ResolutionUnit
Y Resolution 72 dots per ResolutionUnit Compression Jpeg Compression
Exposure Mode 0 Keywords Butts Tavern historic marker John Butts VA attraction destination display education information landmark marker sign tourist Virginia attractive Belfield Seminary for Young Ladies and Children educating Fort Christianna Greensville County Halifax Roads historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info Place of Interest Places of Interest road side Road sign Roadside Sallie W. Reese signage tavern tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations travel Travel Destination Travel Destinations William Edwards appealing no people sightseeing text South attract history nobody sightsee word daytime destinations displays historic markers Jason O. Watson / landmarks markers signs tourists appeal color image educate historic outdoor vertical day historical markers road sides taverns tourist attractions tours US colour image historical outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America historic site sign with text
Caption BUTTS TAVERN According to local tradition, the first court meeting for newly formed Greensville County occurred in Butts Tavern two blocks east on 22 Feb. 1781. Built about 1770 at the intersection of Fort Christianna and Halifax Roads for William Edwards, the tavern was named for John Butts, who owned it early in the 19th century. By midcentury, the tavern was either remodeled or enlarged to become a Greek Revival-style frame dwelling. After the Civil War, Sallie W. Reese operated the Belfield Seminary for Young Ladies and Children there between 1877 and 1891. While undergoing restoration, the building was damaged by fire on 10 Feb. 1965. The ruins were demolished in 1968. Department of Historic Resources, 1999