historic marker Goochland County Courthouse VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Goochland County sign with text
GOOCHLAND COUNTY COURTHOUSE
The present courthouse is the fourth to serve the county and hte second to occupy this site. The building was erected in 1826 by Valentine Parrish, a Cumberland builder, and Dabney Cosby, a skilled Stuanton brickmason who had worked for Thomas Jefferson at the University of Virginia. Jefferson's influence is seen in the Tuscan portico, full Tuscan entablature, temple form, and color scheme of red brick and white trim. The courthouse, together with the clerk's office, old jail, and original wall to excluded wandering cattle, exemplify a rural nineteenth century county seat.
Department of Historic Resources, 1997