historic marker George's Tavern Crossroads VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Goochland County sign with text
GEORGE'S TAVERN CROSSROADS
In 1792 Captain William George (1760-1827), a veteran of the Revolutionary War, established near this site on River Road an ordinary which stood until about 1900. During the campaign of 1781, General Von Steuben crossed the James River at Cartersville, passing through on his way to meet General Lafayette, who was camped in Louisa County. On 23 February 1782, after visiting Jefferson at Monticello, General Rochambeau passed the future site of George's Tavern on his way to Tuckahoe. Taverns and ordinaries were welcome places for rest and refreshment along stage roads every ten to twelve miles.
Department of Historic Resources, 1999