historic marker Giles County First Court VA attraction destination display education information landmark marker sign tourist history Virginia attractive educating First Court of Giles County George Pearis historic markers historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info Pearisburg Place of Interest Places of Interest road side signage tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination travel Travel Destination William Branch Giles historic appealing no people sightseeing text historical South attract nobody sightsee word daytime destinations displays landmarks markers signs tourists appeal color image educate outdoor vertical day historical markers road sides Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org tourist attractions tours US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America historic site sign with text
FIRST COURT OF GILES COUNTY
Giles County was formed from Montgomery, Monroe (now in West Virginia), and Tazewell Counties in 1806. It was named for William Branch Giles, United States senator from Virginia and later governor. North of here, the first court of Giles County was held on 13 May 1806 at the house of George Pearis. The new county seat, Pearisburg, was established in 1808. Pearis donated 53 acres of land for the town. A temporary log structure was built by 1807 to house the court until a permanent stone courthouse was built around 1810. It was replaced by the current courthouse that was erected in 1836.
Virginia Department of Historic Resources, 2000