Fluvanna County historic marker Virginia VA attraction destination display education information landmark marker sign tourist Albemarle County attractive Bremo Historic District educating Gen. John Harwell Cocke historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info James River Lower Bremo Palmyra Place of Interest Places of Interest Queen Anne Recess road side Road sign Roadside signage tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations travel Travel Destination Travel Destinations Upper Bremo appealing no people sightseeing text South attract history nobody sightsee word daytime destinations displays historic markers landmarks Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org markers signs tourists appeal color image educate historic outdoor vertical day historical markers road sides tourist attractions tours US colour image historical outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America historic site sign with text
Fluvanna County takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of EnglandÕs Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the countyÕs outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.
Department of Historic Resources, 1998