Fork Union Baptist Church Brick Meetinghouse attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination University of Virginia Virginia attractive destination educating Fluvanna County Fork Union Military Academy historic marker historic site info John Hartwell Cocke signage Thomas Jefferson tourist attraction UVA VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South Virginia Cavaliers attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic markers Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
FORK UNION BAPTIST CHURCH
Fork Union Baptist Church was constituted in 1798. Presbyterian, Episcopal, Methodist, and Baptist congregations shared as a place of worship the current church, built in 1824 and first known as the Brick Meetinghouse. Gen. John Hartwell Cocke, a local plantation owner who assisted Thomas Jefferson in establishing the University of Virginia, was its architect. It is the oldest Church building in Fluvanna County in continuous use for that purpose. In 1898, ten of its members became the original guarantors of Fork Union Military Academy. The church sanctuary was the site of the first and subsequent academy graduations until 1937.
Department of Historic Resources, 1999