Fork Union Academy Susie Payne Cooper Virginia attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating Fluvanna County Fork Union Military Academy historic marker historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic markers historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
FORK UNION ACADEMY
First classes of Fork Union Academy were held here October 15, 1898, in the residence of Susie Payne Cooper. Established as a coeducational English and classical school, it became Fork Union Military Academy for boys in 1903. Organized by ten guarantors who were members of Fork Church, the Academy was sustained mainly by private contributions from the Fork Union community until 1913 when it became affiliated with the Baptist denomination.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission, 1983