Fork Union Military Academy William E. Hatcher attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive Baptist General Association of Virginia Cadet Corps Charles G. Snead destination educating Fluvanna County Fork Union Academy historic marker historic site info Junior Reserve Office Training Candidate signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org historic markers historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
FORK UNION MILITARY ACADEMY
Founded in 1898 by Dr. William E. Hatcher with the assistance of Charles G. Snead, Fork Union Academy established military training as part of the curriculum in 1902. It served as a coeducational school until 1909, when the trustees transformed it into an all-male academy. In 1913, it was renamed Fork Union Military Academy and became affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. From 1919 to 1965, the Academy operate a Junior Reserve Officer Training Candidate program. The Cadet Corps, consisting of an upper and middle school, occupies buildings on 307 acres.
Department of Historic Resources, 1999