Floyd historic marker Andrew Jackson Virginia attraction destination display education information landmark marker sign tourist Admiral Robley D. Evans attractive educating Floyd County historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info Jacksonville Phlegal family Place of Interest Places of Interest road side Road sign Roadside signage Spanish-American War tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations travel Travel Destination Travel Destinations VA appealing no people sightseeing text South attract history nobody sightsee word daytime destinations displays historic markers landmarks markers signs tourists appeal color image Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org educate historic outdoor vertical day historical markers road sides tourist attractions tours US colour image historical outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America historic site sign with text
This place became the county seat when Floyd County was formed in 1831. First called Jacksonville for Andrew Jackson, its name was changed to that of the county. The courthouse was built on land given by the Phlegar family. The town was incorporated in 1892 and rechartered in 1936. Here was born Admiral Robley D. Evans, hero of the Spanish-American War.
Virginia Conversation Commission, 1941