historic marker Frying Pan Meeting House VA US attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Fairfax County sign with text
FRYING PAN MEETING HOUSE
The Frying Pan Meeting House, constructed in 1791 on land donated by the Carter family in 1783, was used for Baptist services until 1968. Named for nearby Frying Pan Branch, the church is a rare example of 18th-century architecture in Western Fairfax County. By 1840 the congregation consisted of 33 whites and 29 blacks: both black and white members are buried in the church cemetery. During the Civil War, Union and Confederate forces each use the meetinghouse several times as a picket post. The last surviving church trustee conveyed the property to Fairfax County Park Authority in 1984.