Historic Tappahannock Hobbs His Hole Virginia attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating Essex County historic marker historic site info New Plymouth Old Customs House signage Tappahannock tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic markers historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
The town was founded in 1680 under the name of Hobbs His Hole. In 1682, a port was established here and called New Plymouth. In 1808, the name was changed to Tappahannock. The British Admiral Cockburn shelled the town, December 1, 1814. An old customs house and a debtors' jail are here.
Conservation & Development Commission, 1929