Salubria John Thompson Ann Butler Virginia VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark mansion marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive Cary T. Grayson Culpeper County destination educating historic marker historic site house info James Hansbrough signage tourist attraction Woodrow Wilson appealing history home no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody residence word daytime displays historical markers landmarks mansions markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical wealth day destinations historic markers historic sites houses tourist attractions Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org US colour image outside residential day time homes USA wealthy day-time residences U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
Just south stands Salubria, a rare example of Georgian architecture in Virginia's Piedmont. The house is notable for its elegant proportions, fine Flemish-bond brickwork, and superb interior paneling. Salubria probably was constucted in the mid-eighteenth century for the Reverend John Thompson. According to local tradition, he built Salubria in 1742 when he married his first wife, Ann Butler, the widow of Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood. In 1802 James Hansbrough bought the property and named it Salubria, which means healthful. Salubria was the birthplace and family home of Admiral Cary T. Grayson, personal physician to President Woodrow Wilson.
Department of Historic Resources, 1997