historic marker Point of Rocks Virginia marker attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org outsides United States United States of America Chesterfield County sign with text
POINT OF ROCKS
Point of Rocks is located two miles south on the Appomattox River. In 1608, Captain John Smith wrote about this high rock cliff which projected out to the channel of the river. Known to all as Point of Rocks, it was severly damaged during a battle between Confederate artillery and Federal gunboats on June 26, 1862. Rock from the point was used to build the wall of the City Point National Cemetery shortly after the Civil War.
Department of Conservation and Historic Resources, 1987