Salisbury Patrick Henry Thomas Mann Randolph attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive Chesterfield County destination educating Edward Johnson historic marker historic site info signage tourist attraction William Turpin VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic markers historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
Nearby stood Salisbury, built during the middle portion of the 18th century. It was a one-and-a-half story frame house that had two asymmetrical brick chimneys. Patrick Henry leased Salisburg from Thomas Mann Randolph and lived there while he was governor of Virginia from 1784 to 1786. Randolph sold the farm to Dr. William Turpin, and after Turpin's death his daughter Caroline, married to Dr. Edward Johnson, inherited the property. Their son Confederate Maj. Gen. Edward Johnson inherited the house in 1843 and lived there until his death in 1873. The house burned to the ground in 1923.
Department of Historic Resources, 2000.