historic marker Battery Dantzler Dantzler VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Chesterfield County sign with text
A half-mile northeast stands Battery Dantzler, named for Col. Olin Miller Dantzler, 22d South Carolina Infantry (killed in action nearby on 2 June 1864), and constructed in May - June 1864 to block the Union navy's approach to Richmond. The battery anchored the northern end of the earthworks cut across the Bermuda Hundred peninsula from Swift Creek on the south to the James River on the north. Battery Dantzler's artillery included two 7-inch Brooke rifles, two 8-inch smooth-bore Columbiads, and two coastal mortars. The battery operated until 2 April 1865, when it was abandoned and its naval garrison marched with Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia westward to Appomattox Court House.
Department of Historic Resources, 1994