Monticello Wine Company USS Virginia Virginia attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Charlottesville Adolph Russow attractive destination educating historic marker historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic markers historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
MONTICELLO WINE COMPANY
The Monticello Wine Company's four-story brick building was located on the middle of Perry Drive on the north side. Founded in 1873 using grapes from local vineyards, it operated until about the time Prohibition began in Virginia in Nov. 1916. Spurred by production increases and highest-awards honors from exhibitions in the United States and abroad, the Charlottesville region proclaimed itself the "Capital of the Wine Belt in Virginia." In 1904 its wine was used to christen the USS Virginia. The building was last used as a storage facility until fire destroyed it in 1937. The home of the winery's general manager, Adolph Russow, stands nearby at 212 Wine Street.
Department of Historic Resources, 2005