The Farm Nicolas Meriwether Nicholas Lewis attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Charlottesville University of Virginia Virginia attractive Banastre Tarleton destination educating George A. Custer historic marker historic site info John A.G. Davis Meriwether Lewis signage tourist attraction UVA VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South Virginia Cavaliers attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic markers Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
The Farm stands on a 1020-acre tract acquired by Nicholas Meriwether in 1735 and later owned by Col. Nicholas Lewis, uncle of Meriwether Lewis. A building on the property likely served as headquarters for British Col. Banastre Tarleton briefly in June 1781. In 1825, Charlottesville lawyer and later University of Virginia law professor, John A. G. Davis, purchased a portion of the original tract and engaged Thomas Jefferson's workmen to design and build this house. It is considered one of the best surviving examples of Jeffersonian residential architecture. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer occupied the house as his headquarters for a brief time in March 1865.
Department of Historic Resources, 2001