Charlottesville Woolen Mills John A. Marchant attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Charlottesville Virginia attractive Charlottesville Manufacturing Company destination educating Henry Clay Marchant historic marker historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic markers historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America sign with text
CHARLOTTESVILLE WOOLEN MILLS
As early as 1795, several types of mills operated here. In 1847, Farish, Jones, and Co., opened a cotton and woolen factory. John A. Marchant gained control of it by 1852 and renamed it the Charlottesville Manufacturing Company. His son, Henry Clay Marchant, bought it in 1864. Although the Union army burned the factory in 1865, Marchant reopened it in 1867 as the Charlottesville Woolen Mills, which became Albemarle's largest industry. A community grew up around the mill and Marchant built worker houses and a chapel. By the 1880s the mill specialized in making cloth for uniforms; it remained in operation until 1964.
Department of Historic Resources, 2000