historic marker Sandy Point Cherry Hall VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Charles City County sign with text
SANDY POINT & CHERRY HALL
Originally home to the Paspahegh Indians, Sandy Point was settled in 1617 as Smith's Hundred and after 1619 known as Southampton Hundred. St. Mary's Church was established here prior to the Powhatan Uprising of 1622. During the Revolutionary War local militia units were encamped on the James River. Prominent area homes have included Tettington and Tomahund, seats of the Lightfoot family, Byrdwood and The Rowe. Landmarks have included the Trees Point and Old Field and schools at Banbury Farm (est. 1878) and Renwood (est. 1910). A ferry crossed the James from Sandy Point until 1942, and nearby Barrett's Ferry crossed the Chickahominy River until 1939. A store at Sandy Point wharf stood until ca. 1955.
Inland from the James River during the 1800s, the cross-roads community that developed near Cherry Hall Plantation included Graves' Shop and Rural Shades Academy. Nearby stood the first Lower Church of Westover Parish (ca. 1735-1805) and Jersualem Church (est. 1877). The store of W.T. Haynes served this community until ca. 1930.
Charles City County, Virginia.