historic marker New Hope courthouse Virginia law justice attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive courthouses destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America Charles City County sign with text
NEW HOPE & COURT HOUSE
Since the establishment of the Court House during the mid-eigtheenth century, this area has served as a community center for the entire county. During the Revolution and Civil War the area was the site of military encampments. A tavern built in the colonial era was destroyed by fire and replaced by a house and store first owned by the Nances and later the Majors. Landmarks in the Court House area have included a blacksmith shop, county jail, post office (est. 1803), Hubbard's Store, Greenway School, Charles City County School (est. 1820) and Charles City High School (est. 1924). Prominent area homes include Greenway, Mons Sacre, Wood Park and the Brown-Jones House. The area east of the Glebe Creek was known as New Hope. Area landmarks have included the store of Fielding Lewis, the Glebe Lane School, Waddill's Mill and Haupt's Store, earlier known as Major's Store. Prominent area homes include Belle Air, "The Glebe" of Westover Parish, Little Glebe, Bush Hill, the home of several doctors and Millford, the home of Edmund Waddill, a longtime Clerk of the Court.
Charles City County, Virginia.