historic marker Wayside and Granville Virginia attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Charles City County sign with text
WAYSIDE & GRANVILLE
Wayside was settled after 1613 as a part of West and Shirley Hundred. Landmarks have included St. John's Church, established 1897 by the Rev. John Jones, a post office at Shirley Mill. In 1921 the Wayside Community Club assisted in erecting a new building for the Wayside School (est. 1895). Two earlier schools in the area were closed following the Nat Turner insurrection. Prominent area homes include Dogham, Eppes Island, High Hills, Shirley, Upper Shirley, Riverview and Westberry, in this area stood the Forest, "The Wedding Place" of Thomas Jefferson and Martha Wayles Skelton. Granville, once known as Mt. Prospect was served by the post office of Granville Mills (1804-22), Malvern (1836) and Hardens (1877-85). Landmarks have included the Haxall Saw Mill, Gills Store, Grace Chapel (est. 1890) of Westover Parish, Granville School, Millwood School and the Kings Daughters Fresh Air Camp. Prominent area homes include Granville and Hardens.
Charles City County, Virginia.