historic marker Daleville College Virginia VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Botetourt County sign with text
Daleville College began as a private school that Church of the Brethren educator Isaac N. H. Beahm conducted for the children of Benjamin F. Nininger and George Layman in 1890. The construction of school buildings began the following year. In 1892, the school incorporated as the Botetourt Normal College. It was renamed Daleville College in 1910. Affiliated with the Church of the Brethren, the college merged with Bridgewater College effective in 1924. The campus became Daleville Academy, a secondary school, until it closed in 1933. The surviving academic buildings here are good examples of early-20th-century educational architecture in Virginia.
Department of Historic Resources, 2003